Pic(k) of the week 51: Stay on the line

Most of you probably know that my day (or night) job is being an airline captain for a major airline based in Dubai. Guess which one!

Beside the line flying, I've also been holding an instructor/examiner rating for a number of years. One of the more interesting training duties is Base training, which is taking cadet pilots (ab-initio, inexperienced first-officers) out in an empty Airbus A330 to do actual take-off and landings (touch&go's) for the very first time in the real aircraft! Earlier this month I've done quite a few of these flights which are very rewarding from a job satisfaction point of view.

Pic(k) of the week 51: Stay on the line!
One of the things that feels very different in the real aircraft compared to the simulator, is taxying the aircraft. As an instructor, I frequently find myself saying to the trainees, "Stay on the line". I'm sure this explains the image caption.

The shot above is made with my brand-new Nikon P7000, a compact camera with a pro touch! It replaces my 2 year old Canon G9. So far I've been very happy with the new Nikon's image quality and interface. Initially writing a single raw file to the memory card took more than 5secs, which is really slow! A firmware update and buying a 4GB high speed class 10, Sandisk card reduces the time to less than 2secs. Very reasonable for RAW file writing on a compact camera.

Needless to say that this camera will not replace Pro gear like my NIKON D700 with 2.8 lenses.

Image details:
Nikon P7000
ISO 100, 50mm, f5, 1/1000s
RAW file development in Lightroom 3.3
Single shot HDR with Photomatix 4
Contrast adjustment Software ColorEfex

More of my Airline images can be found here.

To the ones celebrating, Merry Christmas

Click that shutter,
BJORN
Follow me on Facebook
Follow me on Twitter


Comments

Hugo Verledens said…
Yep gekend probleem die vertraging in het saven, moet je heml eens in JPEG zetten .. pas dan gaat het traag. Hoe duurder de camera hoe sneller , met een NIKON D reeks heb je dat niet in RAW/NEF formaat, maar ook in JPEG of TIFF, ik dacht dat je zelfs tot 8 beelden continue na elkaar kan nemen (op full resolution natuurlijk)
Nu een beeldje van 50Mb op een datacard saven van 8Gb is niet niks hé . Dus op een shoot hebben we ook minimum 2 datacards bij ...
We zijn aan het kijken naar een D3x ... maar voorlopig blijft het bij kijken .
Grtz
Hugo