Pic(k) of the week 39: Learning to fly Big Mama

As I write this, I'm cruising at 38000 feet on an Airbus A380 to Munich. For a change, I'm flying as a passenger and will after stopping in the capital of Bavari, continue to Toulouse, France.

I rarely blog about my day-job (no pun intended it involves a lot of night work!) as a pilot, however this time a little explaining might be relevant. This year is my 25th anniversary as a pilot in which over the years I have flown over 40 different types of flying machines. All the way from a 5kg paraglider to a 372 ton Airbus A340-500. 

2012 Pic(k) of the week 39: Learning to fly Big Mama

The coming months, I'll be training to fly the largest passenger aircraft in the world; the Big Mama Airbus A380. Part of this training is done over three weeks with the manufacturer in Toulouse (SW France), while the specific training as an A380 instructor/examiner, will be completed in Dubai. The whole process will likely take about three months and should be over, just before the end of the year.

Because of this, my photography will probably suffer a bit. I plan on continuing my Pic(k) of the week series and might even be able to do one or two other blogposts in this period.

Image details:
Nikon D800 70-200 2.8 VR2
ISO1600, 125mm, f2.8, /4000s
RAW development in LR4.1
Nik SilverEfex 2 for Black and White conversion


The image above of the mighty A380 landing at Dubai was taken just before sunset. In order not to duplicate information some more facts on the A380 can be found in an earlier blogpost: 2012 Pic(k) of the week 28.

Remember, "Flying is not Nintendo, you don't just push a button to start over"

BJORN
Follow me on:




Comments