Pic(k) of the week 34: The new flying toy - 1954 Piper Super Cub

End of July, in my Pic(k) of the week 30: "The little yellow aeroplane"I explained how I recently have enjoyed going back to the grassroots of aviation, in flying a vintage 1950's era aeroplane... 

Less than three weeks later, I'm now one of the proud co-owners of the Piper Super Cub that I talked about in the blogpost above. 

The aircraft, an ex-Dutch Air Force 1954 Piper L-21A (called PA-18-150 in the civil world), is now based in my home country Belgium. Beside being flown by myself, it will also taken into the skies by its two other owners. The aircraft doesn't look its age, as four years ago, the 60 year old aircraft, has been completely restored.

Just back from flying the new toy around Belgium over the last week, I hardly can get rid of the grin on my face!

I can't remember ever having had a "self-portrait" for my Pic(k) of the week, but since I've pretty much been living and breaching Piper Cub the entire last week, this one needed to be included! 

The new flying toy - 1954 Piper Super Cub

The image above was taken at Moorsele, a 700m grasstrip in the West part of Belgium, where I did my first solo flight in 1987. For me nothing symbolises the "going back to basics" more than what's above!

Back to photography now... While doing some Air to Air photography last Saturday from the Cub, it became clear again how valuable a compact size system like the Fujfilm X-T1 is. Taking a full frame Nikon or Canon DSLR in a confined space like the Super Cub cockpit, would have been very different! 

Image details:
Fujifilm X-T1 with the 18-55 Fujinon lens
ISO 200, 23mm (35mm full frame equivalent), f6.4, 1/300s
RAW development in Lightroom 5.6
Nik ColorEfex Pro 4 for contrast and color enhancement

Remember, "You haven't seen a tree, until you've seen its shadow from the sky" - Amelia Earhart

BJORN






Comments