Pic(k) of the week 10: FROZEN MOUNTAIN LAKE - FUJIFILM goes skiing

Because I'm suffering from a bit of an image backlog lately, this weeks Pic(k) of the week was shot mid February on my skitrip to Austria... While I already shared an image from that trip in my Pic(k) of the week 7: "Blue hour in the Austrian Alps", the one below was shot while skiing higher up in the mountains.

On previous skitrips, I used to take the majority of the images with my iPhone while skiing, but was never really photographically satisfied... While the new X-70 (review here) was not available for my skitrip, I had to find another solution...  I decided to go as small and light as possible and took the Fujifilm X-T10 and 27mm pancake lens with me. A camera/lens combination which is only marginally larger than the X-70.

Including the family stuff, I ended up taking a few hundred images during the 7 days trip, with a collection of about 40 images making it into their own "Leogang Feb 2016" gallery. Compared to other years, I'm much more satisfied with the end result of the gallery images; obviously largely due to carrying the better camera!

Although neither the X-T10 nor the 27mm lens, are weather sealed, I did not have a single problem on the trip; even after I dropped my camera in more than 50 cm of deep snow on the side of the mountain and I shot in temperatures down to -10C. The only downside was that my batteries needed to be changed a little faster. Don't forget that after batteries are warmed up again (put them in a pocket close to your body), they are often good to be used for another 50-100 shots!

The image below is of a beautiful small mountain lake on the side of one of the ski slopes, which was completely frozen. Beside the deep blue skies at higher altitudes, it was the single skier in the extreme right of the frame that made the image complete for me!

Leogang, Austria, Skitrip  Feb 2016

Click on the image above for a full screen view.

Image details:
Fujifilm X-T10 with the 27mm f2.8 lens
ISO 200, f11, 1/640s
RAW development in Lightroom CC
Nik ColorEfex Pro 4 for optimal contrast and detail

Remember: "The man on top of the mountain didn't fall there" - Vince Lombardi






Comments