Pic(k) of the week 20: PLAYING WITH THE SUN

Sometimes as photographers we go out there with great expectations and then the weather or some other exterior circumstance, turns for the worst. Such was the case last weekend, when I wanted to shoot the Burj al Arab with the mysterious "foundation pillars" on the beach.

Well, on my way there it became clear that the visibility was quickly becoming worse and that the shoot would probably be useless. Although I initially hesitated to turn back, I instead decided to just go for a walk on the beach and scout for some possible future photographs. 

Along the Jumeirah beach front just to the East of the Burj al Arab, I spotted a metal life-size sign of a person running. While the sun was still obscured behind a big blanket of clouds, I could envision the ball of the sun turning the runner into a football player. And yes, about 30 mins later the sun eventually became visible at the Western horizon. 


Image details:
  • Fujifilm X-T2 with the XF 50-140 f2.8 lens
  • ISO 320, f8, 1/250s, 140mm (210mm full frame equivalent)
  • Lightroom CC for RAW file development
The experience above proved me once again the following;
  • be flexible and don't give up when the initial plan is falling apart
  • look for alternative images even if the conditions are not 100% right
  • be patient and give the weather the chance to change 
Although there is no human element in the image, I still look at this image as a "Street Photograph". More of my best Color Street Photography can be found  here

Remember; "The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera" - Dorothea Lange 



Comments