TOP 10 IMAGES OF 2017

Now that the end of the year celebrations are behind us, it is a perfect time to reflect on my work as a photographer during 2017.  

While some tend to think that the best years of photography seem to be behind us, I tend to disagree. Traveling to exciting places has become more affordable; technology and pricing on present day cameras has opened up photography to the masses; learning photography has become so much easier, be it through online tutorials or actual workshops. What is there not to like with all of the above? To me we are truly living in the golden age of photography! 

Looking at the mirrorless market, where the innovation seems to be the biggest, we are seeing breakthrough technology on a constant basis. Please take note Nikon and Canon! On the Fujifilm side, 2017 was the year where I reviewed the brand-new X-100F, X-T20 and X-E3 cameras; three great additions to the X-series line-up. Towards the end of the year, I also had a closer look at the Medium format GFX-50S. 

Over the years I've traditionally listed my best 3 Architectural, Aviation and Travel images. Last year however I added a third category, "Street Photography" as this has become much more important in my personal photography work. 

Lately I've been asking myself the question if I actually still need to put my images in different categories? Although I'm keeping my three Portfolio categories on my website (click here for more), for my 2017 selection, I decided to just list my TOP 10 images of the year. I more and more like to looked at as  a "Photographer", rather than being categorized as a specific type of photographer!

Let the countdown begin...

10/ VILLA CAVROIS, Roubaix France
Shot last summer, my visit to this beautifully restored Late Art Deco building, became my 2017 Pic(k) of the week 32


9/ BELGIAN AIR FORCE F-16 SUNSET DISPLAY
Shot at the Sanicole Sunset airshow in Belgium early September with the XF100-400 lens. The evening airshow proved to be one the most challenging of the 2017 season due to the low light and moderate rain. 


8/ 500FT OVER THE VINEYARDS OF BURGUNDY
Shot early morning from my 1954 Piper Cub, this is my favorite Aerial photography image of the year. The flight itself is one my most memorable ones in my +30 years of flying as a pilot. More info in my 2017 Pic(k) of the week 28



7/ SUNRISE OVER LES MENUIRES
As a yearly tradition, in February 2017 I went skiing for a week. A camera is always on me during these trips; this time it was the very small Fujifilm X-A3. More at the 2017 Pic(k) of the week 9. 


6/ PLAYING GAMES AT KHLONG TOEI MARKET
I photographed this kid playing games at a local Thai market, while his parents were working. The image became the cover of my Street Hunt book which was released in 2017, more info here. Please send me a personal message for special pricing.


5/ STEAMY WINDOWS, TOKYO
End of October I spend four days in Tokyo, Japan. A Street Hunt trip to test and review the Fujifilm X-E3. This image shot in the subway is my favorite image from Japan. More in my 2017 Pic(k) of the week 44.


4/ THE YELLOW STEPS
While being jet-lagged in Sydney Australia, I shot the image very early morning. It created a bit of a debate whether this is Street photography. In any case it makes for a great print! More at my 2017 Pic(k) of the week 43


3/ RARE AIRLINER FORMATION
During the Dubai Airshow, Emirates airline flew a Boeing B777 and Airbus A380 in formation with the Al Fursan military jet team. A one of that could not be missed! More at my Pic(k) of the week 47

Dubai Airshow 2017

2/ DOWNTOWN DUBAI DURING BLUE HOUR
End of the year, I was lucky enough to do some roof-topping from the Index Tower in Dubai. The camera used was the GFX 50S; Fujifilm's Medium Format camera which holds an amazing amount of detail. More at the 2017 Pic(k) of the week 51.


1/ SUPERMOON RISE OVER THE GHAF TREES
Finally my personal favorite one of the year... Shot in the Dubai Desert in the last month of 2017, there was hardly any editing work done to the image, which makes it even stand out more. More at my Pic(k) of the week 49.  



Looking back at the above Top 10, it is remarkable that all images except one, have been shot in the last 6 months of the year. Is that because the more recent work still resonates more with the photographer? Possibly. In any case, it is a good idea to allow some time for your images to mature before publishing them. Something I struggle with myself and obviously is against my own Pic(k) of the week project. For 2018, I intend to revisit some older images and potentially even re-edit them in order to see their full potential.  

A look into my Lightroom catalog shows a total of 12561 images for 2017, remarkably close to last years 12437! I obviously shot many more, but these images are the ones that I consider worth keeping. Of these 198 have received a 5 star rating; the highest score I give to my images which potentially can make it into a Portfolio image. 

Like the previous year, all images in 2017 were shot on Fujifilm cameras; mostly with the X-T2 and X-T20 but also some on other cameras such as the X-A3, X-100F, X-E3 and GFX 50S. 

Last month was my fifth year of shooting the X-series Fujifilm system. Time permitting, I will try to blog about this anniversary later in the month. 

2017 has also been the year where I've been growing my Instagram account more and more. If you don't follow me on Instagram yet, please click here

Happy shooting,
BJORN



Comments